According to Matt Davies Stockton, if you live in a cold region and the current HVAC system in your home is not proving to be enough for your needs, you can invest in a radiant floor heating system. Once you experience the luxury of radiant floor heating in your home, you cannot go back to the old ways.
Here are a few advantages of heated floors:
- It provides uniform heating – One of the biggest benefits of installing a radiant floor heating system is that they heat up your entire floor and room evenly. As a result, the ambient temperature around your body also remains even. You don’t experience any cold drafts and thus, remain more comfortable and lower ambient temperatures.
On the other hand, the distribution of heat via forced-air heating systems depends on the location of their vents. As a result, some parts of the room get warmer than other sections.
- It’s more energy efficient – Generally, forced-air heating systems need to operate at 149-167 degrees Fahrenheit in order to comfortably heat up a room. However, they also leak heat due to inefficient ductwork systems and if the rooms of your house are not properly sealed.
On the other hand, floor heating systems only require a temperature of 84 degrees Fahrenheit to provide a comfortable heating experience. Since they require less energy, they are much more efficient and can save you up to 15%-25% on your energy bills.
- It’s convenient – Electric floor heating systems are convenient since they only take about 30-60 minutes to heat up a room. It can be connected and controlled via programmable, Wi-Fi thermostats so that you can operate them easily as per your requirements. Plus, since floor heating systems are installed underneath the floors, they also save space that would otherwise be occupied by traditional heating systems.
Floor heating systems are also completely silent and don’t cause any allergies since they don’t disturb the air current in the room. Perhaps, the best part is the safety they offer since you don’t have to worry about accidentally touching any hot surfaces or sharp edges. Even more so if you have kids and pets at home.
- There is no need for maintenance – Another great advantage of electric floor heating systems is that they don’t require any periodic maintenance. Sometimes, problems may arise due to improper installation, but they can be fixed by professionals. However, typically, electric floor heating systems have a warranty of 25-30 years.
- It is easy to install – Electric floor heating systems can be installed underneath almost any type of floor since they come in rolls preinstalled with the heating cable attached to the mesh in a serpentine pattern. So, you can simply roll them out, cut, and turn them according to the room size and dimensions.
Matt Davies Stockton suggests you consider the pros and cons of electric radiant floor heating systems and hydronic radiant floor heating systems before making your decision. They have different installation requirements since they work in different manners.